Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Gutted - fireplace

Our fireplace has emerged from behind the stud wall and what a *gorgeous* feature it is too. The tiny brown tiles seem to suggest the current surround is the product of the fabulous 1970s and its obsession with 'autumnal' tones for decorating. It would complemented my parents original kitchen beautifully.

Hmmm.

So now we have to decide what to do with it. Initial investigations suggest it is probably capable of functon - subject of course to council approval (sigh). But do we want a wood burning fireplace or should we convert it to gas? Also, do we put a mantle above it or do we keep it a little streamlined? I'm fond of a mantle for putting vases and big pictures on, but will it take up too much of the room given we're planning that entire wall to be covered in bookshelves?

Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a wall of bookcases - you could make it a feature though.

    Oh yes convert it to gas - I can't breathe with fires/firworks etc so I may be biased. I love the idea of a fire, but it's messy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I love the smell of burning wood :)

    ReplyDelete